TIDDINGTON WITH ALBURY PARISH COUNCIL

Annual Parish Meeting

Annual General Meeting

Monday 9 May, 2005, 8.00pm – at Tiddington Village Hall

 

MINUTES

 

Present:           Mr J Nowell-Smith (Chairman and District Councillor), Mr R Boughton, Mr A Stratton, Mrs J Willis and six members of the public.

 

1.                   Apologies

Mr K Field, Mr D Turner (County Councillor)

 

2.                   Approval of previously circulated minutes

Previously circulated minutes were approved and signed.

 

3.                   Chairman’s Review of the Year

The Council was saddened earlier in the year by the death of William Tremayne, Councillor with special responsibility for Milton Common. He had done excellent work for the Council and is greatly missed.

On highway matters, it would appear that the pelican crossing will be installed during this financial year, although there has not been confirmation of this in writing.

A sign to indicate access to the M40 at the Waterstock Turn is promised but still awaited.

The affordable housing project is progressing as the County Council is now prepared to release land at the Station Yard. Negotiations are taking place with OCC and OCHA.

Many people commented favourably on the Christmas tree that was erected near Tudor Cottage and it is hoped to plant a more permanent tree later in the year.

The District Council has been attempting improvements in waste disposal and recycling but there has been little help to small villages because of costs. The regular skip lorry visit has been discontinued and is not likely to be reinstated in the near future.

Planning matters have been fairly quiet until recently, when a controversial application at the Three Pigeons brought a Village Hall full of residents to express their views at a special meeting. The rejection of plans for a veterinary surgery at Sandy Lane Farmhouse has highlighted the concerns at the inadequacies of the Planning Department, particularly enforcement.

The finances of the Council are in a healthy state, with only a modest increase in the precept for the new financial year, and a reserve of two year’s worth of precept.

Decisions on applications for grants for improvements to the Village Hall and a new Cricket pavilion are due soon and the Council will make grants to these projects when appropriate.

 

4.                   Annual Governors’ Report, Great Milton School

Mr Mark Stoker had provided a printed Governors’ report and this would be circulated in the wallet.

 

5.                   Open discussion

Mr Pritchard asked about the speed of traffic in Sandy Lane and the possibility of extending the speed limit. Mr Nowell-Smith thought that any further measures were unlikely.

Mr Giddy reported that he had just avoided an accident at the A40/A329 junction at Milton Common, caused by the lack of visibility because of the Sykes vans parked on the verges. The matter had been reported to the Police and things had improved but only for a short while. Mr Nowell-Smith said that the situation had been reported to the District Council and that Great Haseley Parish Council had been pursuing the matter over the last two years.

 

6.                   Election of officers

The Clerk invited nominations. Mr Boughton proposed that Mr J Nowell-Smith be elected Chairman and this was seconded by Mr Stratton. Mr Nowell-Smith accepted.

Mr Nowell-Smith proposed that Mrs J Willis be elected as Vice Chairman and this was seconded by Mr Stratton. Mrs Willis accepted.

Mr Nowell-Smith proposed that Mr K Field be elected as Village Hall representative and this was seconded by Mrs Willis. Mr Field had already expressed a willingness to stand.

7.                   Approval of previously circulated minutes

Previously circulated minutes were approved and signed.

 

8.                   Matters arising from previous minutes

a.                   OCC Highway matters – the sign at the Waterstock Turn indicating the route to the M40 is still awaited. Confirmation of the pelican crossing is still awaited. The 30mph speed limit on the A40 at Milton Common is being reviewed by the County Council. 

b.                   Affordable housing –the architect has provided two alternative sketch plans for discussion at a site meeting in the near future.

c.                   Tree Preservation order – the order has been confirmed.

d.                   Tree planting and maintenance – replies still awaited from OCC.

e.                   SODC Community Green Waste Service – the skip lorry will not be reinstated. Clear plastic sacks for kerbside recycling are to be available at £2.50 for 25 as an alternative to the green boxes. Biodegradable paper green waste sacks will be on sale at 65p each but residents will need to contact SODC to arrange collection by a special lorry. Mr Nowell-
Smith reported that by 2009 there should be a plan in place to involve OCC, SODC and Oxford City Council on a co-ordinated basis. Mr Nowell-Smith suggested that members of the public write to SODC individually about problems and suggestions for improvements. This will be put in the Newsletter.

f.                     Public Right of Way, School Lane – OCC had provided a list of outstanding applications and ours was progressing, but new entries were taking at least three years to process. OCC had advised that nothing could be done about the padlocked gate until the right of way has been added..

g.                   M40 noise levels – Clerk reported that according to a letter in the Oxford Times from a resident of Tetsworth, the Highways Agency has produced a draft M40 Route Management Strategy.

 

9.                   Planning matters

a.                   P04/W1414  Sandy Lane Farmhouse, Sandy Lane, Tiddington – erection of new barn style building for established veterinary practice with practice nurse accommodation. New Klargester biodisc system. Formation of access and car parking.

DOE Appeal Reference: APP/Q3115/A/05/1178639 will be heard at a hearing. It was agreed to write to the Planning Inspectorate indicating support for the District Council.

b.                   P05/W0464/RET  Land adjacent and forming part of Sandy Lane Farmhouse, Tiddington – change of use of land to site two temporary buildings for use as veterinary surgery with parking/servicing area. Formation of new access to serve surgery and formation of 3 parking spaces for dwelling. Construction of Klargester Biodisc sewage system. Erection of new agricultural building to serve remainder of holding.

Decision: refused. Mr Stratton offered to provide clear photographs of the temporary buildings. Mr Nowell-Smith declared a personal and prejudicial interest and Mrs Willis took over the chair.

 

10.               Correspondence

a.                  Local Transport Plan 2006-2011 and Bus Strategy consultation – agreed that Council did not have sufficient expertise to comment.

 

11.               Financial matters

a.                  Payment of £422.33 to Allianz Cornhill Insurance proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mr Willis.

b.                  Payment of £152.75 to Robinson’s Garden Care for play area maintenance April proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mr Boughton.

c.                  Payment of 129.25 to Robinson’s Garden Care for churchyard maintenance April proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mrs Willis.

d.                  Payment of £65.00 to SODC for garden sacks proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mrs Willis.

e.                  Payment of £36.44 to Z M Knight for telephone expenses 2004/05 proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mrs Willis.

f.                    Payment of £10.00 for petty cash proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mr Boughton.

 

 

12.               Open discussion

a.                   Mr Nowell-Smith reminded all that Mrs Tremayne would be co-opted as Councillor at the June meeting.

b.                   Mr Stratton reported that the VE-Day commemorative bench was in need of complete refurbishment. It was agreed to contact several people to ask for quotes.

c.                   Clerk reported that the brick bus shelter had been refurbished by Mr Field and the window space reinstated. The framework and pane was still awaited.

d.                   Mrs Stoker asked how she could become involved in village activities. Mr Stratton suggested that any help would be very welcome at Village Hall events, particularly the Fete and Fun Day at the end of August. Fresh ideas were needed and activities for the children were important.

 

13.               Date of next meeting

Monday, 6 June 2005 at 8.00pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.00pm.