TIDDINGTON WITH ALBURY PARISH COUNCIL

Monthly Meeting

Monday 6 February, 2006, 8.00pm – at Tiddington Village Hall

 

MINUTES

 

Present:           Mr J Nowell-Smith (Chairman and District Councillor), Mr R Boughton, Mr K Field, Mrs A Tremayne, Mrs J Willis, Mr D Turner (County Councillor) and three members of the public.

 

1.                   Apologies

Mr A Stratton.

 

2.                   Approval of previously circulated minutes

Previously circulated minutes were approved and signed.

 

3.                   Matters arising from previous minutes

a.                   OCC Highway matters – the sign indicating the M40 before the Waterstock Turn is to be moved back and fixed to the Wallingford sign.

The surveying outside The Fox and Garage was in preparation for the pelican crossing. David Turner reported that work on installation is likely to begin in May.

Cleaning of the signs at both ends of the village was still awaited.

The Fox PH disclaimed responsibility for the hedge alongside the Ickford Road. Mr Field has arranged for Richard Ilbery to cut the hedge and charge to the Council.

A letter had been received from Peter Ronald indicating that no more would be done about a weight restriction on the Ickford Bridges but that OCC had liaised with Buckinghamshire County Council and the Bridges Maintenance Section of Highways would be monitoring the wear on the bridge. Councillors expressed disappointment and it was agreed to try to acquire photographic evidence of the heavy lorries using the bridges. Mr Turner also agreed to discuss the matter with Peter Ronald.

Comment was made that speed activated signs were beneficial and could they be requested for the A418 and A40. Clerk to look out previous correspondence on the matter.    

b.                   Affordable housing – a further survey for contamination of the site was to be carried out and the architects were making plans for nine homes. It is hoped these plans will be available for inspection at the March Council meeting.

c.                   Tree planting and maintenance – disappointment was expressed at the trimming done by OCC to the chestnut tree. Mr Nowell-Smith reported that the Michaelis family was happy to provide a fir tree from Fernhill Wood and it was agreed that Mr Field would make arrangements to choose a suitable specimen.

d.                   M40 road noise levels – the notes on the meeting of the M40 Group on 18 January were in the February wallet. Mrs Horne reported that they were studying details of a new surface which might be appropriate. She had suggested that a leaflet be issued explaining the work of the Group and its need for funding. Clerk said it might be useful to put an article in the next Newsletter.

e.                   London Road, Milton Common – road safety concerns – the results of the survey indicated that there was much speeding. Mr Turner reported that Peter Ronald would know at the end of March what budget he had for any work on the A40 and after that would like to attend a Council meeting to explain his proposals based on the funding available. 

f.                     Milton Common notice board sign – Mr Field reported that the name sign at Milton Common was rusting and it was agreed to report this to the suppliers when ordering a new sign. It was agreed that the new sign should have “Milton Common” over the name of the Parish Council.

g.                   Milton Common website – Clerk had emailed Great Haseley and Great Milton giving Mr Stratton’s details and asking for possible funding. Great Milton had responded saying Graham Orriss was working on setting up a website for their own village.  

 

4.                   Planning matters

a.                   P05/W1204  Walters Farm, Sandy Lane, Tiddington – barn style wood cladded mobile home for residential use, housing a farm maintenance/security worker.

Decision: SODC refused.

b.                   P05/W1214  10 Albury View, Tiddington – single storey side extension to garage and front porch and pitched roof to bay window.

Decision: SODC approved.

c.                   P05/W1276  42 Ickford Road, Tiddington – erection of a two storey extension to the front, side and rear.

Decision: approved. Mr Field declared a personal and prejudicial interest.

d.                   P06/W0057  60 London Road, Milton Common – erection of a two storey side extension.

Decision: refused.

 

5.                   Correspondence

a.                  South Oxfordshire Local Plan 2011 has been adopted and copies will soon be available.

b.                  Licensing Act 2003 – SODC is reviewing its enforcement policy.

c.                  SODC Housing Strategy 2006-2011 consultation – a questionnaire had been received inviting comments on housing priorities. Clerk to circulate in February wallet and discussion to take place at March meeting.

d.                  Oxfordshire Villages of the Year competition – agreed not to enter.

e.                  Invitation from Chairman of OCC to attend a reception at County Hall on Wednesday, 15 March, 6.30-8.30 to thank Parish Councils and Meetings for their contribution to their community and county. Mr Nowell-Smith to attend.

f.                    SODC new garden waste service – proposal to introduce wheeled bins for garden waste with a fortnightly kerbside collection. The cost would be £29.00 per year for each household. Comments are invited to gauge potential take-up. It was agreed to respond suggesting a much lower fee and for only the spring to autumn months on a weekly basis. Rural areas have very few facilities and residents are being asked to pay more.

g.                  A letter had been received from Mr and Mrs Morrish regarding the redundant electricity poles close to Sandy Lane Estate. Contact with the Electricity Board about a month ago has so far not brought a response to remove the poles. Agreed that further time should be allowed but Council to monitor.  

 

6.                   Financial matters

a.                  Oxfordshire Association for the Blind donation of £50.00 proposed by Mrs Tremayne, seconded by Mr Boughton.  

b.                  Recreation Ground, Play Area and Churchyard maintenance estimate for 2006 from Robinsons Garden Care was the same as 2005 with the addition of the cost for raking the bark. It was agreed to continue with the same contractor.    

c.                  Concessionary fares – from April the Government will be funding a free bus pass to all over 60 for travel after 9.00am. SODC is proposing to give bus tokens to all over 70 and the disabled. These could be used for taxis. Both concessions can be used to certain agreed destinations outside the South Oxfordshire area. A final decision on the details will be made at the end of the month. Mr Nowell-Smith and Mr Turner to enquire whether any tokens supplied by the Parishes will be subject to the same conditions as those provided by SODC. It was agreed that the number of tokens from the Parish Council will remain at £13.00.

d.                  Payment of £399.50 to Fiesta Furniture Sales for round tables for the Village Hall proposed by Mr Boughton, seconded by Mrs Willis. The Village Hall will refund the net cost.

e.                  Payment of £186.20 to Parchment the Printers for Newsletter printing February/March proposed by Mr Boughton, seconded by Mr Field.

 

7.                   Open discussion

a.                   Mrs Willis reported that the postman was still crossing the grass area near Spring Cottage. Clerk confirmed that she had mentioned it to the postman, who had reported to his supervisor.   

b.                   Mr Field asked whether the change of use of a garage at 26 Ickford Road had received planning permission. Clerk said no plans had been received. Mr Field agreed to make enquiries.

Mr Field reported that there was a strong smell of sewage near the gypsy site and that the litter and rubbish on the verge between the MSA roundabout and the flyover was very bad. It was agreed to mention it to the Clerk at Great Milton.

c.                   Mr Turner reported that it is proposed to set the County Council budget at an increase of 4.38%. A poor settlement had been promised by the Government and so there are likely to be cuts to Social Services, Highways and mobile libraries. The Youth Service has had a good report but it is seriously underfunded and there have been problems recruiting staff of the right calibre. Figures would seem to suggest a good increase in funding but it realistically only amounts to an increase of £65,000. 

d.                   Mrs Horne reported that Boris Johnson, MP had written to David Hill, Strategic Director for Planning Enforcement at SODC regarding Sandy Lane Veterinary Surgery. He had confirmed that the enforcement will be pursued to remove the cabins and reinstate the entrance. However, there was still no date for the hearing of the appeals.

 

8.                   Date of next meeting

Monday, 6 March 2006 at 8.00pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.10pm.