TIDDINGTON WITH ALBURY PARISH COUNCIL

Monthly Meeting

Monday 7 April, 2003, 8.00pm – at Tiddington Village Hall

 

MINUTES

 

 

Present:           Mr J Nowell-Smith (Chairman) Mr K Field, Mr I Malin, Mr G Morrish, Mr A Stratton, Mr W Tremayne and Mr C Neail (District Councillor). Miss S Gibbins (ORCC) and two members of the public attended for parts of the meeting.

                                                 

1.                   Apologies

Mrs A Purse.

 

1.                   Approval of previously circulated minutes

Previously circulated minutes were approved and signed.

 

1.                   Affordable Housing in Rural Areas

Miss Suzanne Gibbins, Rural Housing Enabler for ORCC, described the concept of affordable housing – rented or shared ownership provided for those who can prove local connections, are on the District Council’s Housing Register and who cannot afford to rent or buy on the open market. Land made available may be an exception site which would not normally get planning permission and whose value would be for its original use. Other land would be bought at a little above agricultural use value. Houses are built to a high standard and managed by a Housing Association.

To assess whether there would be a need in the village, a housing survey would be required. Miss Gibbins will forward a suggested questionnaire. She also stressed that she would be able to help to ease the way through the inevitably long and complicated process.

The Chairman thanked Miss Gibbins for her presentation and hoped the Council would be in touch again soon.

 

4.                   Matters arising from previous minutes

a.                  Highway matters – there were still instances of lorries turning in the village.

It does not appear that the drains have been jetted. Clerk to write to OCC and Mr Neail to email Mrs Purse.

b.                  Freedom of Information Act 2000 – publication scheme model code – previously circulated Clerk’s contract of employment and job description were agreed and ratified.

c.                  Road signs, Milton Common – the request for a replacement sign on the Old London Road and a new sign at the Sandy Lane junction had been agreed.

d.                  Recycling collection, Tiddington – SODC reported that the contractor, Grundon, had been made aware of our complaints about throwing down the green boxes. However nothing could really be done to help with the difficulties of collecting on the Thame Road.

e.                  Litter blitz, 12/13 April – Clerk would provide sacks at 10.00am at the Village Hall. All urged to come and encourage support from other residents.

f.                    Parish Council elections – nominations had been received from five residents and these were duly elected without the need for an election on 1 May.

g.                  Periodic Electoral Review of Oxfordshire County Council – suggested reorganisation would move Tiddington from the Wheatley division to the area centred around Great Milton. Agreed that this might be more suitable for the rural parish. Unsure that there is a need for an increase in the number of councillors for the County.

h.                  Regional Assemblies Bill consultation – SODC had responded to the Government by stating that it was not in favour of a referendum being held in the South East.

 

5.                   Planning matters

a.                  P03/NO077  Tiddington Cricket Club – demolition of existing clubhouse and replacement with new single storey pavilion, amendment no 1: resiting further from brook.

Decision: approved.

b.         Ash Lodge, Oxford Road, has applied to include some agricultural land in the Parish of Waterstock into the existing garden. It was agreed that the plans would not be required.

 

6.                   Correspondence

a.                  SODC Community Waste Service changes, June 2003 – there will be garden waste containers at Thame Cattlemarket on Saturday mornings from April to October and also at Wheatley on the 1st and 3rd Saturday mornings.     

b.                  The AGM of the Thame branch of CPRE will be held on 10 April.

c.                  Oxfordshire Transport Networks Review – Halcrow is organising a second round of workshops in May. Mr Nowell-Smith expressed an interest in attending as the previous workshop had been very useful.

d.                  SODC links with Parish Councils - ideas for improving links are requested by the end of April. Agreed to write suggesting improved communications through the Clerks with meetings and a “route map” to responsible officers.

 

7.                   Financial matters

a.                  Appointment of internal auditor – Mrs Papps had offered her services at a charge of £35.00 and it was agreed to invite Mrs Papps to audit the accounts for 2002/03.   

b.                  Clerk’s salary 2003/04 – an increase to four hours per week, a nationally agreed rise and progression to spinal column point 21, making a total of £1785.00 per annum was proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mr Malin. 

c.                  Tiddington Cricket Club new pavilion – financial support. Mr Edmondson and Mr Maule presented a case for support from the Council. This would be looked upon favourably by the authorities who would supply grant funding. It was agreed that this would fall within the S137 discretionary payments guidelines and it was resolved to support the Cricket Club. The actual contribution will be decided at a later meeting.

d.                  Payment of £20.00 for membership of the Oxfordshire Rural Community Council proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mr Field.

e.                  A request for a donation to the NSPCC was declined.

f.                    A request for a donation to the Winged Fellowship Trust was declined.

g.                  Payment of £5.00 to Towergate Strovers for Neighbourhood Watch signs insurance proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mr Malin.

h.                  Payment of £433.11 to Gopak Ltd for Village Hall chairs proposed by Mr Tremayne, seconded by Mr Malin.

i.                    Payment of £136.08 to Parchment (Oxford) Ltd for Newsletter printing April/May proposed by Mr Stratton, seconded by Mr Malin.

j.                    Payment of £23.98 to Z M Knight for administration expenses proposed by Mr Tremayne, seconded by Mr Field.

k.                  Payment of £52.00 to SODC for garden sacks proposed by Mr Tremayne, seconded by Mr Morrish.

 

8.                   Open discussion

a.                  Mr Neail expressed a hope that the affordable housing project would be successful. He thanked everyone for their help during his twelve years as District Councillor and announced that he was not seeking re-election. It had been a privilege and pleasure to serve the parish and he wished the Council good luck for the future. Mr Neail was warmly thanked for his efforts over the years on the Council’s behalf.

b.                  Mr Tremayne asked for a current budget statement as he had mislaid his copy.

c.                  Mr Stratton regretted that he had been unable to attend the cultural meeting but that he had been in touch with the organiser and would be kept informed of progress.

Mr Stratton reported that he had attended the gang show and it had been a good and professional production which had been much enjoyed.

Mr Stratton asked that the Council provide further bark for the play area. It was agreed that Mr Field would obtain a quote to be discussed at the next meeting.

Mr Stratton felt that the grasscutting so far this season had been well done, but could the mole problem be tackled. Following discussion it was agreed that the high costs involved in employing a molecatcher were a waste of money. Mr Field reported that Mr Richard Ilbery had harrowed and rolled the field. He would be asked for a bill for doing the work.

d.                  Mr Malin thanked the Council for the opportunity to serve the village. Mr Nowell-Smith thanked Mr Malin for all his efforts.

e.                  Mr Morrish also commented on the good grasscutting.

Mr Morrish said that the effectiveness of the Thame Area Forums was being evaluated, and suggested that more publicity should be given to the fact that they were open to the general public.

Mr Morrish reported that the hydraulically driven trolley abandoned in Brookside Close had at last been removed.

Mr Morrish was thanked by Mr Nowell-Smith for all his efforts while on the Parish Council, in particular his maintenance of the bus shelter and his collecting of the rubbish from the play area each week.

f.          Mr Field expressed his concern that cosmetic changes had been made to laybys on either side of the village but nothing had been done about the realignment of the kerbing to the grass island.

 

9.                   Date of next meeting

Monday, 12 May 2003 at 8.00pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.20pm.